Supporter's Sign Up
Information & Advice
PLEASE REFER TO TWO EXCELLENT WEB SITES DEALING WITH ON LINE FRAUD AND CYBER CRIME.
BUYING GOODS IN THE EU
Cross-border shopping is growing in popularity thanks to the Internet but what are your rights when buying goods or services from a business based in the EU?
Know your rights
The E-commerce and Distance Selling Directives give consumers a minimum level of protection when buying goods and services across the EU. The website should include their contact details and all the information you require to purchase the goods or services on offer.
- The Distance Selling Regulations give you an unconditional right to cancel your order and receive a full refund including initial postage costs with the majority of goods and services on offer however there are some exceptions.
- The right to cancel the order begins the moment the contract is concluded and ends 7 working days following the day after you received the goods.
- You may have to pay postage to return the item to the business, so make sure you check their terms and conditions before you place your order.
For free, impartial advice and assistance on cross border disputes, contact the UK European Consumer Centre where you can find information about your rights before you place your order and if things do go wrong, they may be able to help you to resolve your complaint.
You can use their on-line shopping assistant, HOWARD, to check a website before you place your order.
As we are now fully in the swing of the holiday season many consumers can enjoy a well-earned break without any hitches.
However, if you experience problems with any of the following;
- Flight cancellation and delays
- Alleged damage to a rental car
- Luggage delays and losses
- Wanting to cancel a timeshare or holiday club contract
Then the European Consumer Centre website has a number of template letters that you can use yourself to try and resolve the issues.
If the problem involves a trader in another EU state then you can call the European Consumer Centre on 08456 040 503 (lines open 10am - 3pm)